Friday, May 4, 2012

Privacy-No thanks!

Anyone who lives with a toddler can pretty much agree that privacy was a thing of the past.  Those curious little minds of theirs are always wondering what you are doing.  Even when you think they aren't listening or watching, somehow they are.  This can be demonstrated when you hear them repeat things that may of been said on a phone conversation you are having or had (and you foolishly thought they were preoccupied with toys and television.)


And then there is the special day they gain that oh so wonderful ability to open doors.  To me, I personally didn't anticipate that milestone.  I was okay with it not happening until, well.....college.


Okay, so now with this new ability, let's think of the moments we are in the bathroom.  For a tired parent of a tiny one, sometimes the bathroom becomes your own personal sanctuary as it is (or was) the one place that provided you a quiet moment.  It provided a momentary escape.....until now.


So there I was, in the bathroom, taking my moment, and in walks my daughter to ask mommy what she is doing.  I simply tell her I am using the bathroom and ask her to close the door so I can have some privacy.  So what does she do?  She closes the door, just like mommy kindly asked......yet, the only thing is, she closed it with herself still in the bathroom, as if her tiny ears heard me say, "come on in, let's hang out." 


So I contemplate the idea of getting into deep lesson of privacy, but honestly, what toddler cares about learning at a time like that; a time where they can join mommy's quiet time.  Sure I could have locked the bathroom door to avoid this situation, but the question is do I take my chances of my toddler walking in, or pounding on the door and screaming at me because of pure frustration of not being able to get in?


Looks like I need to re-evaluate my quiet place :)

No comments:

Post a Comment